Saturday, March 21, 2009

Aloha - Day 6 continued...it was a busy day.

Yes, if you remember, I didn't post much that night because we went from one end of the island around to the other end. It was a LONG day!

So, on our way, we stopped at the place we went to on Day 2. The place we hiked down to without the camera. Well, on Day 6 the ocean was a TON calmer than it was on Day 2. I only regret NOT having gotten any pictures of the violent waves. BUT, just imagine, if you will, Phillip, standing in this SAME EXACT spot and the waves' mist/spray were splashing him. He got pretty soaked.

This was the view to the left.
The view straight down - over the edge - Don't get too close!
The view to the right.

All of this was NOT visible on Day 2. The "rock island" to the left. The "pool" to the right. It was under A TON of RAGING WATER.

As we were hiking down, to the right towards the "pool", I turned around and took this shot of a grove of trees and the lava rocks. The tree roots are really cool. YOU CAN CLICK ON ANY PHOTO TO SEE A BIGGER PICTURE.

This was our destination. The rounded, carved-out lava shelves were way too cool. Mother nature is a great lava sculptor.
There were natural lava steps. See the sand in the crevices? From the ocean being this high up? Man, I wish we'd taken pictures!!!
Here's me in the pool.
This place was teeming with life. Whatever this thing was? It looked like a pretty flower.
After the pool, we kept walking across the lava.
This is looking up again. HUGE wall of lava, just above this really deep pool.
There isn't really anything in this photo to give it perspective, but if you look at both the pictures together, you can kind of imagine it as one photo to see the trees in the top picture.
The walls of this pool were crawling with these black crabs.
There was a little vent in the wall (can you see the foam ring?) and with every wave it spit out water. I still can't believe all of this was under water just a few days ago. I can only imagine how cool it would be, if the ocean was calm, but still high enough to snorkel this area. What a treat that would be to see this underwater landscape!
Here is the view out my window on our way south. This is the area to the North of Lihue (airport area). Aren't the mountains cool?
This is in Lihue. Looks just like at home, huh? Well, except for the palm trees. Oh, and the mountains here aren't covered by evergreen pines, cedars and douglas firs. But this area is the CITY of Kauai. A few big box stores, shopping centers, fast food, car lots, restaurants, etc... Glad we didn't stay here. It just doesn't have the same "island" feel.

Here we are a Waimea Canyon Lookout. About 11 miles up a winding road, up, up, up in elevation.
As we climbed, it got colder too.
This sign just made me chuckle. Yeah, like buses could fit up this ramp!??? (I know what they mean, but just laugh with me....we're in Kauai! Maybe the buses here are smaller?)
This was the payoff. To the left.
Straight ahead. I bet when that tree, that is hanging on for dear life, finally falls off the side of the mountain, it will be a sight to see.

To the right.

It was pretty foggy up here. I bet on a clear day this view is to die for. As it was, we were very appreciative of the colors. I'd imagine in the Summer, it is clear, but not as many shades of green???

Here are a couple of the waterfalls. These were SO far away. On the COMPLETE other side of the canyon. I'm sure with a really powerful zoom, they would be clearer and much more spectacular than this. BUT, they are still beautiful, don't you think?
Here's Phillip.
And Me - a bit chilly in the fog.
We stopped on the way back down, and this is the view overlooking the Waimea area. The ocean is right there, but it wasn't clear enough yet and kind of blends in with the fog.
This was on the ground right outside my car door when we stopped here. OKAY, I know, this one is pushing it a bit, but....










As you may, or may not know by now, I'm a bit strange and like old, rustic, rusty, broken, just plain odd objects. (remember the post about the mailboxes in Hanalei?)

On our drive back down to Waimea, there was this intersection in the middle of nowhere. No houses around. No schools. No businesses. Just an OLD intersection. Not even being used anymore. Phillip stopped in the road to take this picture for me.

Isn't is the COOLEST light fixture you've ever seen??? I wonder how many people just drive under it and never even notice it anymore since it is no longer directing traffic? See the NEST in the green light? I LOVE THIS PHOTO!!!! AND I LOVE PHILLIP FOR STOPPING AND TAKING THE TIME TO CAPTURE IT FOR ME. THANKS, BABY!

So, back in Lihue looking for someplace to have dinner, we saw this bus. WOW!

My friend "K" was so excited! She had her own, personalized bus on the island! (I told you I like odd objects!) All my friends would attest to that, I'm sure!!!!

By the way, we ended up eating at Taco Bell - Kauai-style! Ha Ha.....

See ya tomorrow!!!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...