Sounds like a very boring country song... lol
This little group of bricks are part of my used-brick fireplace in my home. It's a HUGE monolith of Terra Cotta Orange clay meets Black spattered with White... Yeah, I think it's U.G.L.Y.
When we bought the house, over EIGHT years ago, it was an eye-sore...in my eyes...and continues to be. I like to decorate the mantle, but am always challenged with the way everything looks with a back-drop of ORANGE!!!
I've investigated painting it. Staining it. Re-surfacing it. SLEDGE HAMMERING it!
Well, I've finally come up with a solution...
Stay tuned...I have something BIG. HUGE. up my sleeve....and even a tutorial.... You're gonna LOVE this!!!
But until I can share....
here's a brick project that was displayed at CHA in the ICE Resin booth.
What started out as a mistake, quickly turned to an asset.
You see, in true ICE Resin, open-back bezel casting process, I adhered clear packing tape to the back of the bezel and poured in a thin layer. The idea was to create a clear back to enable the addition of loose items.
Well, when it was fully cured, I discovered an air bubble had formed and created a recessed pocket on the face, formerly the BACK. This little area was the PERFECT free-form oval for a little flash card word to show through..
Just a bit of sanding to "frost" the surface..and voila...instant fix...and FUN!
When I found the mini-flash card words to light, I knew exactly what I was going to create.
A visit to my local stone-yard secured me a 3-hole, cored brick...no, I did NOT drill holes through a solid brick...to the dismay of some of my friends...but thanks for thinking I am SUPER WOMAN!!! That's why I love YOU guys... :-)
Then I experimented with some wire, some candles, glass beads, melted wax, etc.
This was the first round...mentioned on the ICE Resin blog...
... and the re-vamped version that made it to CHA ... same brick ... same bezel ... a little more "grungy" with a little less "bling"...
Removed the old spice-lid feet I had originally added; removed the glass jars with real candles topped with glass beads; whittled down a couple waxxed led-powered candles to fit the holes; added some melted whittled wax bits and I have myself a candle holder that can "burn" safely for hours.
Sharing over at: