Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Happy Halloween!


Happy Halloween everyone!! Phillip and I spent the evening together - alone! No kids, no trick or treaters way up here on the mountain. I miss the knocks on the door. I miss the screams of "TRICK OR TREAT!" I miss the creative costumes. One of these years we should have an awesome Halloween party or Haunted House. Wouldn't that be so much fun? We could all dress up for the night and be someone else.

I loved Halloween as a kid. I always had the best, thrown-together costumes. I even won a few contests! Mom always dressed up as a witch. Complete with wax warts, long red fingernails homemade from layers of clear tape and fingernail polish, green food coloring mouth/tongue and the creepiest witch-y laugh you've ever heard. It was more like a screech, but it was always convincing.

A few times, we even had a haunted house - in our house. The whole place was transformed. The kitchen was a surgeon's lab, the living room was the morgue, and the enclosed from porch was a maze of creatures and scary "boos". One year, I laid on the kitchen counter and had real raw meat pieces and tons of fake blood on my exposed stomach that the "surgeon" operated on with real knives. What were we thinking? Another time, I was a crazy, dirty, barefooted, screaming cave girl behind bars - complete with burlap tunic and teased hair full of sticks. I yelled and screamed for hours. The next day, I could hardly talk. That was the last year I played that part!

Times are changing. The little costumes I threw together for the boys are packed away in the Black and Orange Halloween totes. I can't bring myself to throw them out or donate them. The Kermit the Frog, the Dopey, the pirate, the clown, the bone man, the pumpkin head.....Maybe someday, there'll be other little ones (grandkiddos) that might want to wear what their daddy wore???? Probably not, but it's fun to dream.

Until then....RIP little costumes!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...