Monday, July 13, 2009

Work Boots.


Here is a picture of a pair of old, dusty work boots that I snagged from an old, local sawmill that closed down several years ago. I plan on re-purposing them into something fun for the garden. BUT, before all that fun, I just wanted to share.

You see, this old place was kind of like visiting a ghost town. Not that it was haunted or anything, just lots of dusty machines and tools. A large silent space, with huge beams way up high. Devoid of any life, well except for an old owl that has lived in the rafters since it was a baby. (I was told that by my "tour" guide who allowed me to salvage a ton of goodies. He was one of the original mill workers and had lots of stories to tell of "back in the day when", before the mill shut down and he watched so many of his friends and co-workers leaving after so many years). Much like we are seeing across the country right now.

This place was desolate and long on shadows. Doors creaking in the wind. Dust. Dust. And more dust.

Then, I saw these boots. Just laying there. I couldn't help but feel a little emotional. Had these belonged to a worker, once upon a time? Who was he? What was his occupation there? Why did he leave them behind? Where is he now?

Oh, if walls could talk.

Anyway, this is how I found them. All covered with dust in the shadows. I loved the composition.

On the other hand, speaking of work boots, Kyle just got a job at one of the local movie theaters. He starts Thursday. This should be a fun job for him, until he goes off to film school. AND A.J. starts his first job on the 23rd at the Dairy Queen on our side of the River. Whoo Hooo! Way to go boys! Congratulations. Appreciate your new-found jobs, work hard and wear out those work boots!!!!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...