Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Expression of Love....

my latest themed media creation

Like many assemblage artists, I’m always looking for ways to use found objects in my work - be it the rusty metal thing-a-ma-jig on the ground, or the left-over frame work housing a chipboard alphabet, or the unused chopsticks from lunch. Whatever the case may be, if the shape or texture or patina is fun, it comes into the studio.

One night we were making Rice-a-Roni as a side-dish, and I took notice of the small, foiled seasoning bag within the box.

Hmmmm, I thought. It’s kraft-colored on the outside and foiled on the inside.

After rinsing the bag and letting it dry overnight, I decided to experiment with its two-toned features.

Shall I resin-coat it?

Shall I use alcohol inks?

Shall I...punch it ?
My large Fiskars scalloped punch would not fit inside the bag, but I found that by folding one side in half, back over itself, and centering the punch, I was able to create the full shape of the punch.


This allowed me to achieve an open design on the front side of the bag - creating a nice little foil frame to showcase a resin-coated paper word, Expression.

With the addition of an assortment of punched flowers attached to shopping bag handle "stems", my old slate chalkboard is now ready for many expressions of love.

The first being this very simple, very sweet sentiment...

If I had a flower for every time you made me smile and laugh,

I'd have a garden to walk in forever...

Click to see my Technique Tuesday how-to video over on the ICE Resin website.





3 comments:

Katalina Jewelry said...

You are the queen of re-purpose, Tina! I love the way you think!!

Hopemore Studio said...

i L O V E the how to video!! All that was was missing was Y O U..lol

Anonymous said...

Cute idea....love the chalk board and quote.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...